Thursday 23 May 2013

My happy food

| |
Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee

I am a food lover and always looking out for good food. If you have any good recommendations, do feel free to let us know so that we can add more to our list =)

I have been a wanton mee lover all my life.. so much so that I have been trying to find the nicest wanton mee in Singapore. Perhaps when one grows up, the expectation gets higher. Or maybe nicer ones are getting fewer..

I see Pontian wanton mee outlets in many hawker centres and food courts. To me, I felt that their food is not raving enough to make me have craving for.

Pontian Wanton Mee
I have been to the famous wanton mee in Bangkok Soi 19 Pratunam area. It cost approximately SGD$2 for a bowl but the portion was little. It was without sauce yet there is a slight saltish fragrance taste in the noodles (it is called hum hiong in Cantonese). The only thing I dislike is the char siew as it was too hard. It was a different taste from the Singapore version wanton mee.

Thailand Wanton Mee (Along Pratunam street)
After the Bangkok trip, I came back to Singapore hoping to find the similar taste. Coincidentally, I found the first wanton mee stall in Singapore which taste similar or even better than the one I had in Bangkok.

Soi 19's Wanton Mee - $3.50 portion
Their noodles have an authentic taste which makes you love them. It has a slight saltish taste with fragrance in the noodles. The fried wanton is way better than the ones from Pontian. Do add their chilli flakes (if you love spicy food) to enhance the flavour. The normal size cost $3.50 but I felt that the small bowl is not enough to satisfy my craving. Therefore, I always add my noodles to $4. It is totally worth it and affordable! I love the Soi 19 wanton mee to the point where I can eat it every day and yet won’t feel sick of it. You will not get enough from one bowl. Try it to believe it! Their operating hours are usually from 7plus in the morning till 6 in the evening. To avoid disappointment, do head down early.
 Soi 19's Wanton Mee -$4 portion


Soi 19's Wanton Mee -Chef at work

Red Cloud's verdict :

Overall Rating: 4.5/5
Service/Friendliness: 4/5
Atmosphere: NA
Cleanliness: NA
Price: $3.50 and above
Taste: 4.5/5

Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee
Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5
Blk 151 Coffeeshop

Post a Comment